STILL LOOKING !
Free Radio Santa Cruz stands ready to dole out $300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space with bathroom, internet, and electrical access–either indoors or out (we’ll build a structure). We’re also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!
Today’s show streams at freakradio.org and archives at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html
ON THE SHOW
- “Nutcracker” Nick Whitehead & “Tuf it Out” Laura Tucker at Conscience and Action 1-1-20
- Referendum Vote Stops RV Ban in Mountain View
- Dipping into the Do-It-Yourself New Year’s Eve Parade
- “Laughter at Lunacy” Lucero Luna at the Last Night S.C. Homeless Union Canopy
- An Interview with the most recent Casualty of City Manager Bernal’s “No Winter Shelter” Policy–Wheelchair Jerry
- Challenging Lawless Police Practices in Salinas with “Roarin’ Back” Rita Acosta
- Cooper and John Report on the Washington Street Encampment Next to Louden Nelson’s Fenced Off “No Bathrooms” Park
- Interviews as Food not Bombs sets up across from the “U.S. Out of the Middle East” Protest Opposing the Iran War (1-4)
- Mike Smith of the Peace and Freedom Party speaking from the anti-war protest
- Replaying Consortium News’s Friday Show on Trump’s assassination of Iranian Revolution Guard Corps Commander Maj. Gen Qassim Suleimani.
Discussion with Scott Ritter, former UN weapons inspector in Iraq, and Middle East analyst Giorgio Cafiero on the reasons for the killing, its timing, and its likely consequences with hosts Elizabeth Vos and Joe Lauria (https://consortiumnews.com/2020/01/04/premiere-of-cn-live-season-2-on-the-crisis-with-iran/_)
- A brief Flashback to late Fall 1988 for the conclusion of KZSC’s “Hearing Voices” show interviewing homeless activists in a time of hope and turmoil with UCSC students Jennifer Kinley, Maria Alderetti, Ray Grueneich, Robert Norse, and Charles Grey. The earlier section of the interview is at http://radiolibre.org/brb/brb160407.mp3 (45 minutes into the file).
FOR THE 12-19 & THE 12-22 HOMELESS DEATH MEMORIALS (BOTH POVERTY-PIMP AND ACTIVIST).
ALSO ON THE SHOW: A BRIEF FLASHBACK TO THE FALL OF 1988
DOCUMENTING THE LIES THAT BETRAYED SHELTER FOR 70-100 PEOPLE LAST NOVEMBER 15TH AT CAMP PHOENIX (ROSS CAMP 2)
- Historical Reminders: The Watkins Minority Liberalizing Measures and Sets the Stage for the Unconstitutional Destruction of the first Ross Camp: http://scsire.cityofsantacruz.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1166&doctype=MINUTES
City’s Own Standard Operating Procedures Ignored and Violated: http://scsire.cityofsantacruz.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1166&doctype=AGENDA
documents attached to Item 15.4)
- Chief Mills’s reassurance that Camp Phoenix (the SC Union-managed Camp at Ross) could not be removed without due process: https://chiefmills.com/2019/11/14/homeless-in-santa-cruz-ross-camp-2-0/ (paragraphs 3 & 4)
- The role of then Vice-Mayor, now Mayor, Justin Cummings in the destruction and other sell-out’s of the Progressive agenda: “A Blast at Vice-Mayor Cummings Record As the Council Dallies” at https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2019/10/29/18827718.php ; “Open Letter to Vice-Mayor Justin Cummings” at https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2019/10/21/18827505.php ; and https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2019/12/18/guest-commentary-city-officials-buck-homelessness-responsibility/
Locally or Regret Repeatedly:
Contact Chief Mills at email@example.com to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf Hold accountable City Hall NIMBY enablers at all public meetings: Former Mayor Martine Watkins, New Mayor Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew of Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills, & City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding “adequate shelter options”. Remember Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers This Winter Wherever They Happen. Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Winter Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts;
Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
Demand City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief “Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix ignoring City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures for closing encampments and violating their own admission that “trespass” could not be properly applied to the survival sleepers
Sign up at the SCHU Table at the Food Not Bombs meals to find more direct and effective ways to support the next homeless-run encampment. Contact the Union at 831-431-7766. Union meets 5 PM Sundays at Front & Water St. Phone: 431-7766 DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS AT FOOD NOT BOMBS
Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign Provide Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores the Winter Shelter Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs
Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to Barracuda Mama at 831-431-7766 Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking and Grey Water for Washing, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, a Drainage System Against the Rains, More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action,Santa Cruz Union of the Homeless documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation. Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook..then go out and do something!
Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/ Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future. Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-335-4844 If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!