WE REPEAT! WE STILL WANT TO GET BACK ON THE AIR AND RESTORE OUR PHONE LINE. Phone in (423-4833) or e-mail us (email@example.com) tips on where we might find a studio space and a place to put our antenna. $300 reward for finding us the studio space. Eternal gratitude for finding an antenna location. Free Radio is ever-more important during the COVID crisis.
The show streams at www.freakradio.org and archives at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . At that archive, click on the date of the show to hear it at any time.
Summary descriptions of current and earlier shows after mid-November 2017 are posted at http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/ . Earlier descriptions (back to 2005) are often available at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/brb-descriptions.html . A listing of where flashbacks to earlier times can be found will soon be available.
City Council continues to ignore the voices and needs of the Community regarding police defunding to curb police violence, discrimination, homeless harassment, and overspending. All power, instead, to City Manager Martin Bernal with his latest focus on uprooting and harassing Food Not Bombs to drive away nearby survival encampments around lot #27. Addition pressure and ticketing on City Council candidate and SC Homeless Union organizer Alicia Kuhl after the bigotry-based veto of her group’s right to park safely on Olive St.
Repeated harassment arrest-and-release of Ben–the man whose vehicle was seized months ago in violation of CDC “shelter-in-place” guidelines. The latest legal bullying was done as the police swept lot #27.
Two-night motel vouchers for those ejected from lot #27 by Assistant City Mangler Susie O’Hara and her loyal confederate Megan Bunch are the City’s cover story for ignoring CDC guidelines and the Martin v. Boise decision. While a small number have finally gotten some longer-term motel shelter, for most of the “sheltered”, there are still the unhealthy group shelters–and even those with waiting lists. No reports of restored food services to those cutback in the few hotels made available.
There are no protected areas set aside for the toxic air quality alerts, the smoke danger, and cooling functions–particularly impactful of those outside, and of the broader community–given the COVID-19 pandemic.–Large publicly funded buildings like the Civic and the Stadium stand empty while encampments multiply outside the “lack of services” Housing Smidgeons Poverty Palace at 115 Coral St.. Dangerous COVID-19 vulnerable group shelters at the Vet’s Hall, Armory, “Housing Smatters” Paul Lee Loft, and Laurel St. continue to be the main “go to” for police” as a warehousing “alternative” when they threaten the visually “undesirable” outdoor camps being destroyed in the Pogonip and along the levee.
Those camps continue to be starved of resources like portapotties, wash stations, and trash pick-up’s and are now under threat of removal. City Mangler Martin Bernal’s Bumbuster Police, Rangers, and Public Works crews seem to be removing or reducing previous COVID-19 “emergency” accommodations in defiance of public health needs. Encampments along the San Lorenzo pathway near the Broadway bridge and along Hiway 1 at River St. multiplied exponentially after the City and County created more refugees by displacing the larger Benchlands encampment with their own show County-run encampment there.
No indication that “banned”vendors on Beach St. have been invited to resume their family-sustaining sidewalk businesses down near the Boardwalk, while tourists continue to be invited to crowd beaches and sidewalks there.
ON TODAY’S BATHROBESPIERRE’S BROADSIDES SHOW:
*** Friday’s Eviction Report from Carrotchopper Keith McHenry: Uprooting the “Ugly”.
*** Chris Hedges at the People’s Convention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVqGeUHZiI https://peoplesconvention.org/
*** McHenry’s Musings–the Alarming Update from the Vicar of Vegetables: City EvictionMasters at Work
*** Brief Burps from Establishment Papers: Cop Craziness Continues Across the Country
*** Plotting Peaceful Resistance: Housed and Unhoused Gather to Gab Tuesday Morning
*** “Whip the Wicked” Wes White Updates on Salinas Sweeps
*** Greg Bengston’s Plea from the County Containment Camp: https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2020/10/02/18837234.php
*** More Grassroots Strategies for Survival to Defend the Camps and the Food Services*** Aaron Hosmer’s Lonely Battle To Recover Property from Tow Company and Cops https://www.facebook.com/aaron.hosmer.5 *** Holding off the Housing Hijackers at Lot #27 (10-30): Interviews with Sachillia, “e”, & others
*** Michelle: a Positive Report on the Armory Shelter
FLASHBACK TO December 19 Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides Radio Show
*** Phone Interview with Barbara Tyger, Clearview Court resident, on the City’s rent control betrayal*** River Dane on San Mateo police search van*** Hour-long interview with “Beggarbacker” Becky Johnson grilling Mayor Mike Rotkin [from 12-14]
*** Dan Hemingway on Borders trash can removal, skateboarding tickets, police draw guns on stolen car occupants, hackeysacker’s police chase, and more*** Fred Gardner’s Medical Marijuana articles on the Raich v. Ashcroft case*** Phone interview with Tad from Arcata’s Houseless Coalition
Note: Time limitations may cut some of these items; for the full show go to the archives at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html or directly to the original show at http://radiolibre.org/brb/brb041219.mp3
SHOW ARCHIVES AND DESCRIPTIONS
Recent Past Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/Recent Past Shows are Archived separately at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html
Many Pre-2017 Shows are Described at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/brb-descriptions.html
Many Pre-2017 Shows are Archived at http://radiolibre.org/brb/
Archives prior to 2004 are at http://huffsantacruz.org/archivemain.html
For Flashbacks before 1995, go to http://huffsantacruz.org/radio.html and search for “Flashback”
Act Locally or Regret Later
- Vote (if you choose) for local candidates who oppose the dominant anti-homeless narrative (Alicia Kuhl was recently endorsed by HUFF), but don’t expect them to take real action which, as ever, will be coming from those outside and those who support them on the streets.
- Stand with Food Not Bombs at its restored Town Clock location they resist the latest City Manager-initiated removal of their vital COVID-19 Survival Station from Lot #27 at Laurel and Front.
- Demand NO SWEEPS OF THE HOMELESS ENCAMPMENTS without real alternatives. Help defend!
- Support Survival Camp Resisters demanding police respect CDC guidelines and Martin v. Boise
- Full resources for ALL homeless whether inside or outside the County’s Containment Camp !
- Check out HUFF (Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom) now meeting Wednesday 11 AM in the courtyard of the Sub Rosa Cafe at 703 Pacific next to the Bike Church.
- Support Tenant Resistance to the Unjust and Unconscionable Evictions on the September Horizon
- Be on the lookout for City Mangler Martin Bernal’s County-funded Raids against Pogonip Campsites “to protect against fire danger” with Hiway 9 paths now taped off and 24 hour “No Parking” signs posted.
- Join FenceWatch to monitor SCPD attempts to close off Public Space as they’ve three times done near the Post Office in their relentless anti-homeless campaign in violation of CDC Shelter-in-Place guidelines. Remove the Fences on Coral St. Protect and Provide Resources for the Survival Tents Along Hiway 1 at River St.
- Document police pressure against many campsites citywide: Information is Power!
- JOIN MASS PROTESTS THAT ACTUALLY ACT RATHER THAN TALK if you can find any.
- Call in street reports to HUFF and the Free Radio Santa Cruz netshow back at 831-423-4833; Post your video on facebook and you-tube. Pass on protest times and places via Instagram and www.indybay.org/santacruz
- Join Food Not Bombs [FNB], HUFF, and other local groups at the Daily Meal at the Town Clock seeking volunteers to pass on information and provide support.
- Eat and organize at FNB meals 1:30-5:30 weekdays, 4-6 Sat & Sun.
- Demand City Council Legislative Rubberstampers of City Manager Martin Bernal and County Potentates Restore Actual Public Meetings instead of Closed Door On-Line Charades.
- Call City Hall (420-5020) and the Board of Supervisors (454-2200) or Rattle the Windows of these Toxic Pretenders where They Work & Live to demand Defunding Police Agencies to secure safety & services.
- Hit the streets to Insist that City Manager Bernal and Chief Mills stop the sweeps of homeless encampments–violating the CDC directive and halt $$ for these and other police terror sweeps.
- Prepare for peaceful urgent Direct Action to enact these health & safety measures if City Manager Bernal, Mayor Cummings, and Chief Mills continue to Stall.
- Resist Business and Corporate Pressure to Restore Massive Tourist “Business as Usual” in the midst of a Pandemic of Unknown Dimensions
- Prepare for the likely return of explicit anti-homeless police, business, and vigilante activity as “business-as-usual” resumes.
- Demand “Bad News” Bernal Order His Cops to Stand off and Allow Homeless Activists to Reopen Camp Phoenix, let other survival campers remain where they are without molestation (stop the sweeps!), and/or allow for self-run triage zones (as at the Ross Camp site) now that Governor Newsom has declared that area surplus space to be designated for homeless use. Provide decent facilities for trash pick-up, washing, drinkable water, and bathroom access.
- Pressure the City to provide support for vehicular residents, water for those outside, portapotties for those in the Pogonip and the Levee, and decent survival services citywide.
- Denounce the latest cosmetic “See, We Have Shelter” lie with the pathetic and all-in-the-same-room response of the Vet’s Hall, the Armory, and Laurel St instead of the needed and promised motel rooms. These need to be provided BEFORE symptoms develop, BEFORE testing, TARGETING the most vulnerable but providing for all as the crisis escalates nation-wide.
- Demand immediate transfer of money to shelter the many rather than provide an illusion by unsafely sheltering a few, while really providing protective cover to the City Council and Board of Supervisors for essentially doing nothing for the great majority and allowing Mills’ police-and-rangers to threaten campsites with seizure and arrest at will as police are the only large gang allowed to publicly assemble.
- Contact Chief Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf
- Hold accountable City Hall NIMBY whenever they show up in public: Mayor Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew of Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills, & City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding “adequate shelter options”.
- Remember Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers This Plague Season Wherever They Happen. Provide them with supplies.
- Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Emergency Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts.
- Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
- Demand City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief “Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix ignoring City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures for closing encampments and violating their own admission that “trespass” could not be properly applied to the survival sleepers. Remember the bad history so it’s not repeated!
· Contact Alicia Kuhl to find more direct and effective ways to support the next shelter-in-place encampments, legal challenges, and fundamental police change throughout the City starved of food and survival gear at 831-431-7766. DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR & VOLUNTEER DURING THE CRISIS EVERY DAY AT FOOD NOT BOMBS Laurel & Front St. MEAL.
· Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign
· Provide Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores the Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs to give directly to Food Not Bombs, the Felker St. Footbridge Services, the SC Homeless Union and other real providers.
· Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to BadAss Mama at 831-431-7766
· Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
· Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, Electrical Phone-Charging Hook-up’s and More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns
· Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, and independent homeless activists bydocumenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook. Then go out and do something!
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with anytime with street reports: 831-423-4833
- If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!