Today’s 7-26-20 show description will also be posted early at
http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/. It and other shows are now again available on the huffsantacruz.org archives
City Council remains in hiding or on vacation ignoring the Defund the Police demands made repeatedly at the last three Council sessions & direct action protests outside their homes last week. The D.A. and the SCPD refuse to drop inflated and groundless felony charges against MARTY MIRABEL (“PIRATE”) for defending a friend’s vehicular home from a massive police raid in violation of CDC “shelter-in-place” guidelines. His next hearing is October 6th.
DIRECT ACTION SUPPORTERS OF “BLACK LIVES MATTER” REMOVED THE ANTI-HOMELESS FENCES SET UP AGAIN BY CHIEF MILLS’S SCPD DEPARTMENT AT THE TOWN CLOCK AND ALONG THE WATER ST. BRIDGE ON FRIDAY NIGHT (7-31).
CITY AND COUNTY AUTHORITIES ARE MOVING TO DESTROY THE SHELTER-IN-PLACE BENCHLANDS ENCAMPMENT AT SAN LORENZO PARK, “REPLACING” IT WITH A “MANAGED” CAMPGROUND FOR A FAR SMALLER NUMBER. CITY STORY-TELLERS SUSIE O’HARA AND MEGAN BUNCH AND COUNTY PROPAGANDIST JUSTIN HOPPIN HAVE BEEN SPOTTED AT THE SITE ALONG WITH A GROWING NUMBER OF POLICE. STAY ALERT FOR ALERTS TO PROTEST &/OR RESIST THIS ATTACK ON THE SURVIVAL ENCAMPMENTS OF THOSE OUTSIDE.
VIDEO OF THE POLICE MOBBING OF MARTY AT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_IS4fR2JM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR31gdenzugCVMc_TnLhFJwK_P-jgh-nLUzoTe250Wa0fnza5usMZPwHQKA
DREAD MACCALL DIED LAST WEEK–SALINAS JOURNALIST AND ACTIVIST
ON TODAY’S BATHROBESPIERRE’S BROADSIDES SHOW:
*** Speak Out on the Steps of the County Building Last Monday (7-24) attacking the persecution and prosecution of Marty Mirabel (“Pirate”)–Keith McHenry, Marty Mirabel, Gloria Rovay, Robert Aguirre, Robert Norse & Others
*** “Katzenjammer” Keith McHenry’s Update on the Benchlands and Unusual 1st-of-the-month Line at the Food Not Bombs meal
*** Local Facebook reports on Vehicular “72-Hour Move-Along” Notices being prematurely given to harass those whose homes are their vans and cars
*** Jessica York’s Scent-Anal Story on the Benchlands Deportations Ignoring the Health Risks of Local Group Shelters at https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/07/30/santa-cruz-unsanctioned-homeless-camp-under-new-management/
*** Watching the City’s Benchlands Bulldozing: Eliot, Keith, Gloria, Jean, & Others Survey the growing dislocation.
Interviewing a Camp Resident with positive reports: Jonathan Chavez
*** Critical commentary
from those forced out and community critics: Eric, Mikey, Mama Shannon, Peter, Lake & others
Huff along with the HUFFsters–listening on last Wednesday’s meeting
7-29 with Nick, Robert, Monica, Gloria, and Thomas. Robert’s
Lake report from Seaside and the County-created vehicular campground.
*** Reports from Felton Anti-Racist Honkseekers and Scotts Valley Shopping Center Musicians.
*** March 26, 1991: An Anti-Homeless Councilmember Proposes a Fence Around the Town Clock to End a 3 Month Long Protest there led by “Won Ton” Dave Jacobs, “Redtop” Robert Flory, and “Jetlag” Joe Salinasky. In an era when there was a partially pro-homeless minority on the City Council (Lane, Beiers, and Kennedy), the fencing proposal was defeated, and the protesters removed through unconstitutional court action by Judge (Kangaroo) Kelley.
*** August 12, 1990: Sherry Conable and Bubbah Brian Koepke on KZSC on the struggle for homeless shelter.
Recent Past Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/Many Earlier Shows are Described at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/brb-descriptions.html
Earliest Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/archivemain.html
Act Locally or Regret Later
- Demand full resources for ALL homeless in the Benchlands or Leave Them Be ! Form and contact Resistance support groups in solidarity with those struggling to shelter-in-place there.
FenceWatch to monitor SCPD attempts to close off Public Space as
they’ve three times done near the Post Office in their relentless
anti-homeless campaign in violation of CDC Shelter-in-Place guidelines.
police and county official threats and force being used to depopulate the Benchlands.
Call in street reports to
HUFF and the
Free Radio Santa Cruz netshow
back at 831-423-4833
Food Not Bombs [FNB], HUFF, and other local groups at theDaily Meal at the Laurel & Pacific seeking volunteers to pass on information and provide support.
Eat and organize at
FNB meals 1;30-5:30 weekdays, 4-6 Sat & Sun.
Legislative Rubberstampers of City Manager Martin Bernal and County
Potentates Restore Actual Public Meetings instead of Closed Door On-Line
City Hall (420-5020) and the Board of Supervisors (454-2200) or Rattle
the Windows of these Toxic Pretenders where They Work & Live to
Defunding Police Agencies to secure safety & services.
the streets to Insist that City Manager Bernal and Chief Mills stop the
sweeps of homeless encampments–violating the CDC directive and halt $$
for these and other police terror sweeps.
- Prepare for peaceful urgent Direct Action to enact these health & safety measures if City Manager Bernal, Mayor Cummings, and Chief Mills continue to Stall.
- Resist Business and Corporate Pressure to Restore Massive Tourist “Business as Usual” in the midst of a Pandemic of Unknown Dimensions
Prepare for the likely return of explicit anti-homeless police, business, and vigilante activity as “business-as-usual” resumes.
- Check out resumed HUFF meetings Wed 11 AM at the Sub Rosa Cafe 703 Pacific (next meeting 8-5)
Look over the Monday 8-3 Panel
3:30 PM – 5 PM Hosted
how we might rethink public safety in light of the Black Lives Matter Movement. It includes three “experts” on the question of alternative modes of public safety: Dr Nikki Jones, Berkeley Professor, Ben Adam Klimer, with CAHOOTS Eugenes alternative to police dispatch, and Kayla Kumar with the SC Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Commission. THEN GO OUT AND JOIN MASS PROTESTS THAT ACTUALLY ACT RATHER THAN TALK.
“Bad News” Bernal Order His Cops to Stand off and Allow Homeless
Activists to Reopen Camp Phoenix, let other survival campers remain
are without molestation (stop the sweeps!), and/or allow for self-run
triage zones (as at the Ross Camp site) now that Governor Newsom has
declared that area surplus space to be designated for homeless use.
Provide decent facilities for trash pick-up, washing,
drinkable water, and bathroom access.
the City to provide support for vehicular residents, water for those in
the Benchlands, portapotties for those in the Pogonip and the Levee,
and decent survival services citywide.
the latest cosmetic “See, We Have Shelter” lie with the pathetic and
all-in-the-same-room response of the Vet’s Hall, the Armory, and Laurel
St instead of the needed and promised motel rooms. These need to be
provided BEFORE symptoms develop, BEFORE testing, TARGETING the most
vulnerable but providing for all as the crisis escalates nation-wide.
- Demand immediate transfer of money to shelter the many rather than provide an illusion by unsafely sheltering a few, while really providing protective cover to the City Council and Board of Supervisors for essentially doing nothing for the great majority and allowing Mills’ police-and-rangers to threaten campsites with seizure and arrest at will as police are the only large gang allowed to publicly assemble.
- Contact Chief Mills at email@example.com to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf
accountable City Hall NIMBY whenever they show up in public: Mayor
Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew
Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills,
& City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp
Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of
Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment
in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding
“adequate shelter options”.
Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice
in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support
Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers This Plague Season
Wherever They Happen. Provide them with supplies.
- Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Emergency Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts.
- Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief
“Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix
City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures for closing
encampments and violating their own admission that “trespass” could not
be properly applied to the survival sleepers. Remember the bad history
so it’s not repeated!
Contact Alicia Kuhl to find more direct and effective ways to
support the next shelter-in-place encampments, legal challenges, and
fundamental police change throughout the City starved of food and
survival gear at 831-431-7766. DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR
& VOLUNTEER DURING THE CRISIS EVERY DAY AT FOOD NOT BOMBS Laurel & Front St. MEAL.
· Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign
· Provide Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores the Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs to give directly to Food Not Bombs, the Felker St. Footbridge Services, the SC Homeless Union and other real providers.
Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to BadAss Mama at 831-431-7766
· Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
· Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, Electrical Phone-Charging Hook-up’s and More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns
· Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, and independent homeless activists by documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook..then go out and do something!
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-423-4833
- If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!
REMINDER: Free Radio Santa Cruz stands ready to dole out $300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space with bathroom, internet, and electrical access–either indoors or out (we’ll build a structure). We’re also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!