WE’RE STILL ON THE LOOKOUT WITH $$$ IN OUR FIRST IF YOU SPOT A STUDIO SITE !
Free Radio Santa Cruz stands ready to dole out $300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space with bathroom, internet, and electrical access–either indoors or out (we’ll build a structure). We’re also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!
Today’s show streams at freakradio.org and archives at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html
ON THE SHOW
- Braving Bad Times: Brent Adams of the Footbridge Services
- Weathering the Winter: Wes White of the Salinas Homeless Union
- Roughriding RVster Amber briefs us on the latest Berkeley City Council cave-in.
- 2-3 Interview: “Can’t Cage Us” Cooper & “Rage Against the Ripoffs” Russell on the Aftermath of the 1-30 Police Theft of Their Survival Gear
- 2-4 After 5 Nights Without That Gear, Cooper Describes the Police Assault and Arrest on Portuguese Tony Mendoza with 7 cars and 8+ officers
- 2-6 Cooper on Further Threats “Go to the Armory or Else” from Police at the Post Office Encampment
- Alleycat’s Update and a Snatch of the 2-28 CACH Safe Sleeping Subcommittee
- More from the Glover & Krohn Recall Resistance 1-29; Full Audio at
to 2007: Audio Selections from Community TV Video Shows
- Club Cruz’s Becky Johnson interview (9-20-07) Homies for the Homeless protesters who weathered a week-long encampment at City Hall in the summer
- Voices show hosted by Mark Halfmoon (10-25-07) on the City Council/Police ambush of then-Councilmember Tony Madrigal for raising racialprofiling concerns.
Cruz’s Becky Johnson interview (2-6-02) with Robert Norse and Zoe Einbinder on the Hippie Planter Gentrification Controversy of that Winter.
REVIEW THE PAUL BODEN ADVICE TO THE SC HOMELESS UNION at
HEAR THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW WITH MAYOR JUSTIN CUMMINGS at http://huffsantacruz.org/lost/26m%20Cummings%20Interview%202-3.MP3
CHECK OUT CHIEF MILLS PUSHING HIS “DISAPPEAR HOMELESS ENCAMPMENTS” PROGRAM BEFORE THE REACTIONARY SANTA CRUZ NEIGHBORS VIGILANTE GROUP at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vi1QGWgK0
REVIEW THE LATEST DOCUMENTS IN THE SLEEPING BAN STRUGGLE at https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2020/02/01/18830292.php
DOCUMENTING THE LIES THAT BETRAYED SHELTER FOR 70-100 PEOPLE LAST NOVEMBER 15TH AT CAMP PHOENIX (ROSS CAMP 2)
- Historical Reminders: The Watkins Minority Liberalizing Measures and Sets the Stage for the Unconstitutional Destruction of the first Ross Camp: http://scsire.cityofsantacruz.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1166&doctype=MINUTES
City’s Own Standard Operating Procedures Ignored and Violated: http://scsire.cityofsantacruz.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1166&doctype=AGENDA
documents attached to Item 15.4)
- Chief Mills’s reassurance that Camp Phoenix (the SC Union-managed Camp at Ross) could not be removed without due process: https://chiefmills.com/2019/11/14/homeless-in-santa-cruz-ross-camp-2-0/ (paragraphs 3 & 4)
- The role of then Vice-Mayor, now Mayor, Justin Cummings in the destruction and other sell-out’s of the Progressive agenda: “A Blast at Vice-Mayor Cummings Record As the Council Dallies” at https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2019/10/29/18827718.php ; “Open Letter to Vice-Mayor Justin Cummings” at https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2019/10/21/18827505.php ; and https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2019/12/18/guest-commentary-city-officials-buck-homelessness-responsibility/
Locally or Regret Repeatedly:
Join Early Rising Outdoor Survivors at City Hall 7:30 AM Wednesday to Educate Councilmembers and Staff on Homeless Survival Needs, Resist the Recall, and Quaff Coffee at the Bernard Klitzner Memorial Koffee Klatch.
Plan for the next Community-Backed Homeless Encampment at the Wednesday 2-12 HUFF (Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom) meeting noon at the Sub Rose Cafe next to the Bike Church.
Train to Resist Police Intimidation of Survival Campers at the weekly Union’s Resistance Forum Wednesday 3-4:45 PM at the Sub Rosa Cafe. Meal (of sorts) provided.
Demand “Bad News” Bernal Order His Cops to Stand off and Allow Homeless Activists to Reopen Camp Phoenix now that Governor Newsom has declared that area surplus space to be designated for homeless use. Denounce the latest cosmetic “Winter Shelter” lie with the opening of the Armory–which only serves 20 more people and ignores the 1000-2000 outside, spending ridiculous sums of money to shelter a few, while really providing protective cover to the City Council and Board of Supervisors for essentially doing nothing for the great majority.
Contact Chief Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf Hold accountable City Hall NIMBY enablers at all public meetings: Former Mayor Martine Watkins, New Mayor Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew of Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills, & City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding “adequate shelter options”. Remember Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers This Winter Wherever They Happen. Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Winter Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts;
Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
Demand City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief “Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix ignoring City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures for closing encampments and violating their own admission that “trespass” could not be properly applied to the survival sleepers
Sign up at the SCHU Table at the Food Not Bombs meals to find more direct and effective ways to support the next homeless-run encampment. Contact the Union at 831-431-7766. Union meets 5 PM Sundays at Front & Water St. Phone: 431-7766 DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS AT FOOD NOT BOMBS
Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign Provide Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores the Winter Shelter Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs
Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to Barracuda Mama at 831-431-7766 Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, and More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action,Santa Cruz Union of the Homeless by documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook..then go out and do something!
Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/ Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future. Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-335-4844 If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!