HUFF has taken to holding tempestuous weekly meetings recently. We weren’t sure how active Conscience and Action was going to be in the new year. However co-founders Phil Posner and Nick Whitehead have expressed interest, so it looks like they’re revving up again.
HUFF hardroaders (as well as Conscience and Action activists) are invited to come early (10:45 a.m. or earlier) to meet with RV survivor Alicia, who will be bringing up the issue of RV harassment she and her three children have recently faced in their RV on the West side.
Other Likely topics:
HUFF Agenda Prospects:
- The expanding Gateway/Ross campground: any chance for real protections from the “Progressive” City Council? Think not? Then how about from the Community?
- How are RV dwellers doing in the wake of the Boise v. Martin decision and Coastal Commission’s “take down the “no parking signs” orders?
- Homeless (Lack of) Service Center Update–Changes or More of the Same: an Examination of the latest answers from workers inside.
- SCPD capers: Reviewing police records perhaps to check for the frequency of Stay-Away Orders and Racial Profiling–a possible field trip after the meeting.
- Is it any easier to get one’s property back from the “open only 4 hours a week” SCPD?
- A Laundry List of Reminders for the Incoming Shitty Council
- Evictions or support for those threatened in early January? Are evictions increasing? How goes the possible homeless/tenant Coalition?
- Is Winter Shelter access any less difficult with its e-mail sign-up requirements than last month? How are conditions out at the 7th Avenue Shelter and Salvation Army?
- Any restoration of services out at MHCAN? Is the Board of Directors still slumbering?
- Upcoming Martin Luther King Day rally of the state Union of the Homeless including tours of homeless camps in Chico.
Come and share coffee, questions, and answers at 703 Pacific (next to the Bike Church) at HUFF.
- Support the Downtown Santa Cruz Bathroom Task Force, Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s 24 Hour Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, HomeFree, and other activists in documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/
HomelessOutsideSantaCruz/ for updates.
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-
- Back up homeless efforts to organize either in protest or to demand adequate and accessible facilities.
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org every Thursday 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/
- If you must, expropriate items from chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless!