ON TODAY’S SHOW:
*** San Francisco Health Workers and Shelteristas Blow the Whistle: Move Vulnerable to Hotels Or Else!
*** Under the Parking Garage on 4-5-2020 with
Food Not Bombs and Aurora, Tom, Heather, Bob, Joseph, QZ, & Julio
*** Rover reports from the Shadows and the Forests: Living Outside in a Time of Pandemic
*** Mayor Cummings Ignores the Shelter COVID-19 Threat in His Latest “Report”
*** “Katzenjammer” Keith’s Easter Day Celebration, Update, and Resource Distribution Today
*** Marysville Report from Bryan Brown and Raelyn Butcher
*** Rumbles and Ripples from Rafa Sonnenfeld
*** Earlier Updates from Keith and the
Food Not Bombs Struggle to Share Food
FLASHBACK TO 8-12-2010
- Interviews at PeaceCamp 2010’s New Location with P.J., Crow, Red, Curbhugger Chris, Norse, & Lighthouse Linda Lemaster.
- Deconstructing Councilmember Katherine Beiers (back in 2010 when she was on the Council)–Gloomy Intimations of Her Likely Positions in 2020
- Beginning of the Courtroom Journey of Lighthouse Linda Lemaster
Most Recent Archived Overflow Interviews at
Recent Past Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/Many Earlier Shows are Described at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/brb-descriptions.html
Earliest Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/archivemain.html
Act Locally or Regret Later
- Tiny Tough-Love Tour of Shame to Demand Opening Up Motel Rooms Now at Laurel & Pacifichttps://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2020/04/10/18832269.php?show_comments=1#18832275
Join the Food Not Bombs [FNB], Santa Cruz Homeless Union, HUFF,
Community Center at the Benchlands–struggling for volunteers–daily food service 1 PM and 4 PM daily now
at Laurel & Front parking lot
- Alicia Kuhl, President of the Union of the Homeless plans a survival gear distribution today 4 PM at FNB.
- Call City Hall (420-5020) and the Board of Supervisors (454-2200) or Rattle the Windows of these Toxic Pretenders where They Live to demand Immediate Motel Vouchers (indoor shelter) for the entire homeless population during the crisis so they can shelter-in-place as recommended by the CDC.
Insist that City Manager Bernal and Chief Mills stop the sweeps of homeless encampments–violating the CDC directive.
- Prepare for peaceful Direct Action to enact this health measure if City Manager Bernal, Mayor Cummings, and Chief Mills continue to Stall.
Contact Bathrobespierre Robert for final word on what form if any the weekly Wednesday HUFF meeting will take (normally 4-15).
- Demand “Bad News” Bernal Order His Cops to Stand off and Allow Homeless Activists to Reopen Camp Phoenix, remain where they are without molestation (stop the sweeps!), and/or allow for self-run triage zones now that Governor Newsom has declared that area surplus space to be designated for homeless use.
- Denounce the latest cosmetic “See, We Have Shelter” lie with the pathetic and all-in-the-same-room response of the Vet’s Hall, the Armory, and Laurel St instead of the needed and promised motel rooms. These need to be provided BEFORE symptoms develop, BEFORE testing, TARGETING the most vulnerable but providing for all during the crisis.
- Demand immediate transfer of money to shelter the many rather than provide an illusion by unsafely sheltering a few, while really providing protective cover to the City Council and Board of Supervisors for essentially doing nothing for the great majority and allowing Mills’ police-and-rangers to threaten campsites with seizure and arrest at will as police are the only large gang allowed to publicly assemble.
- Contact Chief Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf
- Hold accountable City Hall NIMBY enablers at all public meetings: Former Mayor Martine Watkins, New Mayor Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew of Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills, & City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding “adequate shelter options”.
Support the (hopefully) forthcoming lawsuit by the
Union of the Homeless demanding real and not token shelter
protection for the 1000+ outside–demanding action now lest hospital
facilities be overwhelmed as the virus spreads.
Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice
in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support
Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers
This Plague Season Wherever They Happen. Provide them with supplies.
- Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Emergency Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts;
- Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief
“Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix
ignoring City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures
for closing encampments and violating their own admission that
“trespass” could not be properly applied to the survival sleepers.
Remember the bad history so it’s not repeated!
Contact Kuhl of the Homeless Union to find more direct and
effective ways to support the next shelter-in-place encampments
throughout the City starved of food and survival gear at 831-431-7766.
DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR & VOLUNTEER DURING THE CRISIS
EVERY DAY AT FOOD NOT BOMBS Laurel & Front St. MEAL.
· Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign
Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores
the Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs to give directly to
Food Not Bombs, the Felker St. Footbridge Services, the SC Homeless Union and other
Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to BadAss Mama at 831-431-7766
· Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
· Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, and More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns
· Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action,Santa Cruz Union of the Homeless by documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook..then go out and do something!
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-335-4844
- If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!
STILL OFFERING A REWARD IF ANYONE FINDS US A STUDIO SITE! EMPOWER THE COMMUNITY AND YOURSELF BY HELPING US OUT !
IT’S A FLAT FAT $300 IF YOU FIND US A STUDIO SPACE WE CAN RENT FOR A YEAR
AND WE’D STILL APPRECIATE TIPS TOWARDS A TRANSMITTER SITE LOCATION !
PHONE IN UPDATES AT 831-423-4833 OR MAIL THEM TO RNORSE3@HOTMAIL.COM
Free Radio Santa Cruz stands ready to dole out $300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space with bathroom, internet, and
electrical access–either indoors
or out (we’ll build a structure). We’re also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an
antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!