HUFF [Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom] will meet Wednesday, 9-5 11 AM at the Sub Rosa next to the Bike Church. Bathrobespierre Robert will be away for a medical event, but may grump in by phone.
Possible action items:
- Conscience & Action invites the community to a September 25 rally 4 PM at City Hall to open the damn Louden Nelson Bathrooms Still Locked to the Community–After a rousing and varied set of speeches from regulars and unexpected allies at the last City Council meeting, C & A plans to keep up the pressure on the pilfered plumbing in hopes of flushing falsehoods and foolishness and restoring traditional decency and inclusivity (whew!).
- 9th Circuit Federal Court Decision May Kill Sleeping Ban in Boise and Prompt New Action Here: https://www.reuters.com/
article/us-idaho-homeless/ prosecuting-homeless-for- sleeping-outside-may-violate- u-s-constitution-ruling- idUSKCN1LK26U
- Independent HUFF strategies for raising and broadening the reversal of anti-homeless exclusionary polices–of which the bathroom bullshit is only one.
- More Mid-Summer Sidewalk Tabling, Senior Citizen Organizing, & Lining Up Outside the Door of the new P & R boss
- Publicizing City Council’s Concealed Winter Shelter Shutdown and the Implications of the Boise Court of Appeals Decision here.
- Salinas Slamdown: Update on the “leave RV homes alone” struggle at Griffin Park and around town.
- Charting Legislative Mischief: AB2178 to Restrict Charitable Food Giveaways, AB 1040 to “conservatorship” troublesome homeless
- Library Burial in the New Parking Garage Plan: Implications for Folks Outside; 4:30 PM Save the Farmer’s Market Rally?
- Resuscitating the Santa Cruz Switchboard: Creating a Hotline Against Vigilante Violence
- Reviewing the Candidate Cavalcade for Shitty Council: Forum for the Posturing Politicos?
- Speakers for the September 25th Rally? Individual visits asking to use the Louden Nelson bathroom, then filing complaints.
Gems from Journeywise Julie:
supervisor-moves-ban-rv- dwellers-ingleside-street/ Interesting lengthy comment section on the RV struggle up in SF.
com/homeless-crisis-in-los- angeles-san-diego-are-parking- lots-a-solution-2018-8 Illegal in Santa Cruz but maybe not in San Diego.
news/20180903/st-vincent-de- paul-society-of-lane-county- to-springfield-pay-up-or-risk- losing-overnight-camping- program An early Eugene safe parking program faces closure because penny-pinching by the City.
- Read the Big News Boise decision page by page: https://law.justia.com/cases/
federal/appellate-courts/ca9/ 15-35845/15-35845-2018-09-04. html
- Support the Downtown Santa Cruz Bathroom Task Force, Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s 24 Hour Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, and other activists in documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/
HomelessOutsideSantaCruz/ for updates.
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-
- Back up homeless efforts to organize either in protest or to demand adequate and accessible facilities.
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at 101.3 FM and freakradio.org every Thursday 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/