Conscience and Action huddles today at 11 AM, with the HUFF meeting following soon after at noon or thereabouts. As usual, we meet at the Sub Rosa Cafe at 703 Pacific next to the Bike Church. Free Coffee with the Clamor.
Last week’s tumult led to a successful action at the River St. Camp: GOOD WORK!
CONSCIENCE AND ACTION IDEAS 5-15
Progressive “Majority” Collapses at City Council, Shuts Down Public Comment; Excludes Public;
Planning Action Defending Survival Shelters
- Announcements: Choice of Action Items
- Follow Up on May 13th Demo and Dialogue at the River St. Camp
- Organizing Volunteers for Survival Camp/Homeless Union Solidarity
- Connections with Plaintiffs and Other Homeless Camps–Establishing Contacts
- City Council Report & Follow-Up
- Anthony Prince Report by Phone (?)
- Judge Davila’s Final Written Ruling & City’s Response
- Update on Documenting the Ross Camp Demolition Losses
- Public & Media Response to the False Ross Camp Narrative: Specific Protests
- Resistance Organization for Ross Camp Successor Camps
- Abusive Conditions at Red Church’s Monday Meal: Activist Double Standards
- SCPD Community Room Homeless-Hostile Meeting Tonight at 7 PM; May 21st anti-RV meeting Tuesday at 5 PM
- Announcements: Including Brief Summaries of Agenda Items
- Further Action on C & A Items
- Street Reports
- Campsites and Ross Camp Removal Fallout Situation
- Reports from Other Campsites & Areas
- Crackdown on RV’s at Safeway and Elsewhere
- Denver Homeless Voter Defeat and Homeless Response There
- RV Attacks & “Reforms” in Other Cities—Local Updates
- May 16 City Council Agenda Item Deadline for 5-28: Legal Changes: Glover Phone Call
- Berkeley Reports: Anti-RV Law: People’s Park Meeting, Lawsuit Fightback,
STILL AVAILABLE! REWARD ! :
$300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space indoors or outside with access to bathroom, internet, and power.
Free Radio Santa Cruz is also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!
On the show today:
- Katzenjammer Keith McHenry Gives Us a Federal Court Update
- Brent Adams’ Take on the Latest Ross Camp Doings
- Visiting the Benchlands “Emergency” Campground
- Anti-Ross Camp Ragers Confront Councilmember Drew Glover
- Glover at Ross Camp
- Criminalization of Homelessness Workshop at Housing California 2019
FLASHBACK to March 13, 1996 show includes:
Refuse & Resist report from B.D.
Bobby Joyce of SF Coalition on Homelessness
Ron Howard of Interfaith Shelter Program
ADVISORIES FOR ADVOCATES
- Support Ross Camp and other Real Alternative Survival Camps and Squats
- Join the Ross Camp Lawsuit: Protect Survival Camps Everywhere! Contact Barracuda Mama at 831-431-7766
- Join Campquest 2019–the Search for Community Shelter in Empty Buildings and Parking Garages for Refuge if Ross Is Depopulated and “Clean-Up” Restricted
- Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, not Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s
- Community and City Council Take Note!–Ross Camp Needs: Potable Water for Drinking and Grey Water for Washing, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, a Drainage System Against the Rains, More Space in Additional Spots.
- Demand Immediate Council/Supervisor Support for the Hundreds of Homeless Refugees Outside in Wet and Freezing Weather
- Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s 24 Hour Storage Program, HUFF, Conscience and Action, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, and other activists in documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out Ross Camp, The Santa Cruz Community, & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz on Facebook for updates.
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/
- Back up homeless efforts to organize either in protest or to demand adequate and accessible facilities.
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-423-4833.
- If you must, expropriate items from chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!
While the Temporary Restraining Order is still in effect, court testimony continues tomorrow Monday April 29th in Federal Court in San Jose beginning at 10 AM.
Ross Camp residents need help cleaning up the camp to present evidence in court tomorrow.
They will also be discussing the settlement proposed by the City, which amounts to an agreement to disperse and no additional shelter than that proposed before (the temporary campground at the Benchlands in San Lorenzo Park until May 1st, the boneyard-barbedwire River St. Campground at 1220 River St., the 7th Ave. Shelter, and the Laurel St. Shelter, plus some Motel Vouchers and a few extra beds at the Paul Lee Loft). The numbers are insufficient to house those at Ross.
Additionally residents will be discussing various alternatives for new places for shelter, since the City is unwilling to provide such shelter.
Come on down and help out.
HUFF Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom