Sunday’s show from 6-14-20 is described at
but still unavailable as an archive. It should be available soon at the usual spot:
City Council will be having a public-excluded (unless you have a tv or computer) key budget meeting, largely ignoring the Defund the Police demands on July 2nd with the agenda only to be announced 24 hours ahead of time. Look for announced protest times on line and from those you know.
“Tough and Tender” Thomas Sketches Taskmaster Times at the
Association of Faith Communities Shelter***
Sutter Health Under Protest Ousts a Racist-Talking Nurse***
Hunger Strike at McGuire Correctional Facility Exposes Profiteering Commissary & Phone Prices***
Palo Alto Cop Thomas DeStaffano Sued for Assault,
False Arrest, Ignoring Injuries, & False Police Report by Victim Julio Aravalo.
*** Chronicle Editorial Attacks California Attorney General Bacerra for Ducking Investigation in case of Sean Monterossa Shot by Vallejo Police.
The “Reforms” Chief Andy Mills Hasn’t Made and Doesn’t Mention
“Scope It Out” Scott
Graham Warns of Police Budget Puffery on July 2nd at the “Special” City
Council Meeting with No Agenda Available until July 1st.
*** Taking Back the Streets on July 21st with
Food Not Bombs and the Coalition to Defund the SCPD
*** Denica De Foy’s “Defund Violence in Uniform” Update from Monterey
*** Threats in Seattle Against the Autonomous Zone; Chatter in Minneapolis Without Substantive Action Windsor False Arrest in Sonoma County 2019 Sez LeMarcus McDonald; Cops Kill Alameda Man Shelby Gattenby*** “Dusty Road” Darryl Back in Santa Cruz with Ideas and Options*** Pre-2019 Cop Records of Lying and Violence Can Be Revealed in Last Year’s Court Decision
FLASHBACK TO SELECTIONS FROM THE 2-4-2007 BATHROBESPIERRE’S BROADSIDES SHOW
*** People’s Park Activist Dan McMullan in Court Defending the Free Box & Other Unhoused Resources
*** “Tactical Ice Cream Unit” Copwatch Presentation Up at UCSC with Berkeley Copwatch’s Andrea Prichard, Santa Cruz Mayor and ACLU Ringer Mike Rotkin
*** Caller Calls Out (Former) Chief Ranger John Wallace’s Whiplash Ways
Some Recent Archived Overflow Interviews Now Available at
Recent Past Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/wordpress/Many Earlier Shows are Described at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/brb-descriptions.html
Earliest Shows are Described at http://huffsantacruz.org/archivemain.html
Act Locally or Regret Later
- Call in street reports to HUFF and the Free Radio Santa Cruz netshow back at 831-423-4833
- Join Food Not Bombs [FNB], HUFF, and other local groups at the Daily Meal at the Laurel & Pacific seeking volunteers to pass on information and provide support.
- Eat and organize at FNB meals 1;30-5:30 weekdays, 4-6 Sat & Sun.
- Demand Legislative Rubberstampers of City Manager Martin Bernal and County Potentates Restore Actual Public Meetings instead of Closed Door On-Line Charades.
- Call City Hall (420-5020) and the Board of Supervisors (454-2200) or Rattle the Windows of these Toxic Pretenders where They Live to demand Defunding Police Agencies to secure safety & services.
- Hit the streets to Insist that City Manager Bernal and Chief Mills stop the sweeps of homeless encampments–violating the CDC directive and halt $$ for these and other police terror sweeps.
- Prepare for peaceful urgent Direct Action to enact these health & safety measures if City Manager Bernal, Mayor Cummings, and Chief Mills continue to Stall.
- Resist Business and Corporate Pressure to Restore Massive Tourist “Business as Usual” in the midst of a Pandemic of Unknown Dimensions
- Prepare for the likely return of explicit anti-homeless police, business, and vigilante activity as “business-as-usual” resumes.
Check out resumed HUFF meetings Wed 11 AM at the Sub Rosa Cafe 703 Pacific (next meeting 7-1)
- Demand “Bad News” Bernal Order His Cops to Stand off and Allow Homeless Activists to Reopen Camp Phoenix, remain where they are without molestation (stop the sweeps!), and/or allow for self-run triage zones (as at the Ross Camp site) now that Governor Newsom has declared that area surplus space to be designated for homeless use.
the City to provide support for vehicular residents, water for those in
the Benchlands, portapotties for those in the Pogonip and the Levy,
and decent survival services citywide.
- Denounce the latest cosmetic “See, We Have Shelter” lie with the pathetic and all-in-the-same-room response of the Vet’s Hall, the Armory, and Laurel St instead of the needed and promised motel rooms. These need to be provided BEFORE symptoms develop, BEFORE testing, TARGETING the most vulnerable but providing for all during the crisis.
- Demand immediate transfer of money to shelter the many rather than provide an illusion by unsafely sheltering a few, while really providing protective cover to the City Council and Board of Supervisors for essentially doing nothing for the great majority and allowing Mills’ police-and-rangers to threaten campsites with seizure and arrest at will as police are the only large gang allowed to publicly assemble.
- Contact Chief Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org to demand fundamental changes such as that seized survival gear be available for reclaiming during regular business hours, not just 6 hours as week. See https://www.indybay.org/uploads/2019/12/18/police_protest_flyer_12-18-19.pdf
accountable City Hall NIMBY whenever they show up in public: Mayor
Justin Cummings, City Manager-for-Life Martin Bernal, His Wrecking Crew
Abuse Enablers Susie O’Hara and Megan Bunch, Police Chief Andy Mills,
& City Attorney Tony Condotti for Inciting the Ross Camp
Destruction, Subsequent Deaths, & the Friday Nov 15th Demolition of
Camp Phoenix (the renewed Deseire Memorial Survival Encampment
in back of Ross) with a campaign of lies to the community regarding
“adequate shelter options”.
Deseire Quintero–Killed by City Indifference, Negligence, and Malice
in Closing the First Ross Camp Without Any Adequate Shelter! Support
Survival Campgrounds, Empty Building Takeovers This Plague Season
Wherever They Happen. Provide them with supplies.
- Take peaceful action to open up buildings for Emergency Shelter as well as an end to harassment citation of folks surviving outside under “trespass on public property”, “closed area”, “public nuisance” and “blocking the sidewalk” pretexts;
- Witness, oppose, and document police and ranger harassment using “closed areas”, “blocking the sidewalk”, “public nuisance”, “public trespass”, and “illegal lodging” to get around the Boise v. Martin “No shelter? No tickets!” decision.
City Manager “Mangler” Martin Bernal and SCPD Police Chief
“Ambushmaster” Andy Mills account for their destruction of Camp Phoenix
City Council’s required Standard Operating Procedures for closing
encampments and violating their own admission that “trespass” could not
be properly applied to the survival sleepers. Remember the bad history
so it’s not repeated!
Contact Alicia Kuhl to find more direct and effective ways to
support the next shelter-in-place encampments, legal challenges, and
fundamental police change throughout the City starved of food and
survival gear at 831-431-7766. DONATE SURVIVAL GEAR
& VOLUNTEER DURING THE CRISIS EVERY DAY AT FOOD NOT BOMBS Laurel & Front St. MEAL.
· Document Homeless Discrimination & Sign Up for Direct Action to “Open the Bathrooms Now!” Action by contacting the SC Union, HUFF, Conscience & Action, or the Give-A-Shit Campaign
· Provide Direct Support to Survival Camps & Squats as City Council Ignores the Emergency; Skip the Poverty Pimp Entrepreneurs to give directly to Food Not Bombs, the Felker St. Footbridge Services, the SC Homeless Union and other real providers.
Post Your Documentation of Police and Ranger “Move Along” Mischief or Pass it on to BadAss Mama at 831-431-7766
· Donate to Existing Homeless Encampments, NOT Poverty-Pimp Posturers– Survival Demands Blankets, Water, Tarps, Portapotties & Trash Pick-Up’s–and Deter Police Harassment by being On Call to Document It.
· Additional Needs for Community Samaritans!–More Needs: Potable Water for Drinking, Laundry Access so Clothes Don’t Mildew, Electrical Phone-Charging Hook-up’s and More Space in Additional Spots, Monitor and Expose Cop Crackdowns
· Support Food Not Bombs, the Warming Center’s Day/Night Storage Program, HUFF, and independent homeless activists by documenting, providing resources, & publicizing the situation.
- Check out The Santa Cruz Community, Santa Cruz Homeless Advocates & Homeless Outside in Santa Cruz, Monterey County Homeless Advocates, SNAIL, HEART Disabled Homeless People, Power Surge Tenants Rights, Bay Area Landless People’s Alliance, and more on Facebook..then go out and do something!
- Read Updates and Post Them on Santa Cruz Indymedia at https://www.indybay.org/santa-cruz/
- Exchange information with other supporters there to generate more communication and better solutions in the future.
- Listen in to Bathrobespierre’s Broadsides at freakradio.org Thursdays 6-8 PM, Sundays 9:30 AM- 3 PM
- Hear archived shows at http://www.huffsantacruz.org/Lostshows.html . Call in with street reports and commentary: 831-423-4833
- If you must, expropriate items from corporate & chain stores. Don’t steal from vulnerable fellow homeless or local businesses!
REMINDER: Free Radio Santa Cruz stands ready to dole out $300 for info leading to a 10′ X 10′ studio space with bathroom, internet, and electrical access–either indoors or out (we’ll build a structure). We’re also seeking a transmitter space where we can put up an antenna–a backyard, a multistory home, a high tree–help us spread the word. Help us so we can help you!