- Vandweller Pat Colby talks about Responding to the Cutback in Recycling and other Turbulent Topics
- Day/Night Storage Maestro Brent Adams Unlooses the Thunder Around CACH Capers
- 6 Cops to Haul Away One Pugnacious Porguguese For Shopping Cart Crime? A Cautionary Tale from Keith
- The Ross Camp Lawsuit’s Settlement Demands on the City Council
CONSCIENCE AND ACTION IDEAS 9-11-19
Note: Agenda Ideas are simply suggestions and subject to change and addition from anyone in the group. They cover a wide range of possibilities. Bathrobespierre Robert will be absent, with medical probs.
- Announcements: Choice of Action Items; Timekeeper & Time Limits; Vibes Guy
- Beach Campground Update
- City Council’s Done Deal–Suggestions for Follow-Up
- Louden Nelson Update: Building on the Same old Shit
- Continuing the Posner Petition to Downtown Businesses Organizing Efforts along with Homeless Union organizing
- Staff Reports for Council Agenda for 9-25–deadline Thursday
- Ross Lawsuit and Union Organizing Report: Phone a Cop Proposal
- Announcements: Including Brief Summaries of Agenda Items
- Further Action on C & A Items
- Street and Campground Report
- 9 AM September 13th Monterey Court Hearing 1200 Aguajito Rd for Salinas Injunction Against Cop Harassment at Sherwood Park Contact Robert at 423-483
- Updates: Stepping Up in Santa Cruz Poverty Pimp PR Checking: Eli and Laura Report; Helping Homeless Union Tabling
- End of Recycling Report
- Public Records Updates: Bathroom Data–Norse and Colby’s Data Some at https://cityofsantacruz.
Stop the “Hide the Poor” Beach Curfew
Open San Lorenzo & City Bathrooms at Night
ReOpen the Louden (London) Nelson Bathrooms!
- No one, including 1000-2000 homeless folks, have actual bathroom facilities for nighttime use (except for 3 wretched portapotties downtown)
- Santa Cruz City Council debated then ducked the issue of reopening the Louden Nelson bathrooms & passed it to the CACH (Community Advisory Committee on Homelessness). The LN bathrooms were closed to all but “patrons” in March 2018.
- The CACH, run by Assistant City Manager Susie O’Hara, ignored the issue,
- CACH met at LN & scheduled months of future meetings there, a slap at homeless.
- At Drew Glover’s regular agenda meeting 9-6, neither he nor Councilmember Krohn took action to require the reopening by agreeing to require a future agenda item on 9-10.
- Police Chief Mills, Parks and Rec boss Elliot, and City Manager Bernal are rushing to Council Tuesday (7:30 PM 9-10) to shut down the Main Beach & continue bathroom closure there at night. Their staff report includes no documentation for this closure.
- Conscience and Action, Food Not Bombs, HUFF, the California Homeless Union, and Give a Shit! volunteers directly opened Louden Nelson bathrooms recently in direct actions that they intend to repeat until the city’s potty pinchers get the message.
Sign Up For DIRECT ACTION ALERTS to restore public access.
No Curfew Without Consideration
Santa Cruz City Council Chambers
Tuesday September 10 7:30 PM
- Police Chief Mills, Parks and Rec boss Elliot, and City Manager Bernal want to shut down the Main Beach and continue bathroom closure there at night.
- As with last spring’s Depot Park plan, there has been no community outreach.
- The proposal supports the agenda of right-wing activist Lynn Renshaw whose letter in the Sunday Sentinel seemed to indicate advance knowledge of the proposal.
- The Mills/Elliot Bernal staff report has zero specific documentation for this closure.
- No hearing before the Parks and Recreation Commission—the normal procedure.
- No hearing before the new homeless CACH Commission.
- Vice-Mayor Justin Cummings is a fan of the CACH Commission and “more data” (i.e. staff, city, and county buy-in) when it comes to transitional encampments, bathroom closure, and police harassment of homeless. On this homeless removal issue to be fair and consistent, he must vote to postpone unless and until data are available.
- E-Mail email@example.com citycouncil@cityofsantacruz.
- Be up for Direct Action to Counter Bernal’s Agenda in the days ahead
Flier by Norse of HUFF (Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom) 831-423-4833 www.huffsantacruz.org 9-9-19
- More Homeless Removal to Nowhere: the Main Beach Curfew on City Council’s 9-10 Agenda at 7:30 PM
- Voices of the Victims from the Red Church Chow Line 9-4
- CACH Capers–Pleading to the City Council Latest Excuse for Delay
- Direct Action At Louden Nelson Last Tuesday Part Two
- “Wake ‘Em Up” Wes White Reports on the Thrice-Delayed Sherwood Park Homeless Hearing 9 AM 9-13 in Monterey
- Targeting Louden Nelson Resters in the Morning: the SCPD’s New Parks and Rec Wreckers at Work
- Eli’s Teeth-Grinding Ground Report on Denial and Discrimination
- Oral Communication 9-28: Steve Argue, David Silva
- Recent Hate Crimes in Santa Cruz: 9 Victims in 2 Weeks
- Ryan, the Skateboarder, ticketed for walking his board, subsequently harassed.
- “Max” reports on anti-homeless assaults & “Host” harassment
- Court Capers: Edward de Bolt on Street Sweeps, Richard Quigley on Sheriff Shenangans
- Citizens Police Review Board Stalemate
- Silva and Skidmark Bob on SCPD’s Power Push in the Lefever Assault on Steve Argue
- Cited for Sitting on the Base of the Tom Scribner Statue
Stories Local and Distant
- Atypical Sharp Anonymous Good Times Letter: http://goodtimes.sc/santa-
- Bigotry in Broomfield: https://kdvr.com/2019/09/06/
broomfield-residents- celebrating-after-rv- illegally-parking-in- neighborhood-towed-away/
- Sticking it to the Sherwood Park Outsiders in Salinas :https://www.youtube.com/
- Forcing the Issue–But Not in Santa Cruz https://gooddaysacramento.
cbslocal.com/2019/09/02/ homeless-parking-lot-city- county-bill/
WHAT YOU CAN DO BETWEEN SHOWS: